There is always sun where is a shadow… 🙂 Watch the video…. 🙂
Spring just arrived and humming starts again. But it is not always about our nice bees – it is wasps that give us this buzz. As soon as we comfortably sit down on our terrace and looking forward to having a nice breakfast, this awful buzzing starts and as soon as we have sighted the first wasp we are wildly waving our arms in the air. Do wasps make their nest again? Must we get rid of a wasps nest on the roof again? Get rid wasps nest roof … oh my god…am I struggling grammar already? Stottering? Is it the fear….?
Unfortunately, we are always in trouble whenever we sit outside at our breakfast table with a sweet pastry and a nice coffee.
I remember inviting my girlfriend for breakfast on the terrace ….. bad idea! No more girlfriend 🙂
Stitches of these little animals are extremely unpleasant and if we are allergic to it, it can even be dangerous. Unlike bees, the sting of wasps does not stay in our skin – they can retract and will fly cheerfully and happy their way off. Letting us back with a large red spot and a thick bump usually.
On the other hand wasps are very useful little animals because they catch mosquitoes and other unpleasant companions. So we should not kill them but rather try to get rid of them in other ways. How we can manage that? Let’s explore among the next few lines.
Remove or distribute wasps: Correct behavior
Or – destroy wasp nest?
Is there any help against wasps? At the latest in summer we are considering how we can get rid of those wasps crawling and humming around the covered table in order to be able to finally enjoy the gorgeous time with the barbecues. If there is no wasp nest we can see that could be removed as the “germ cell” of the problem, the only possibility is to expel the wasps.
If you already had wasps in the previous year, you will probably be affected again this year. From about May to the beginning of June most wasps fly off in search of a suitable nesting site. They often prefer places where the wasp nests were already before.
I tried to find some useful tips in case we are facing a “wasp plague”.
First of all – don’t kill wasps – use THESE ITEMS to chase them away!
Wasps or wasp nest discovered?
Some wasp nest pictures…
What do wasps drive?
• Basil or clove-flavored lemons / oranges sliced can help. Alternatively, essential fragrance oils such as e.g. citronella, clove or tea tree oil can be used. The scent should chase away the wasps from the table.
• Another home remedy against wasps is freshly cut garlic cloves, which are said to be as helpful in keeping wasps away just as cloth soaked in Salmiac being laid out.
• Removing wasps from indoor rooms can be dangerous. In order to prevent wasps from entering through the windows attaching mosquito nets should help.
• Wasps don’t like the smell of coffee. For chasing away wasps from the table simply spread coffee powder or coffee beans in a fireproof pot above a candle. The scent of coffee should drive away wasps effectively.
• Cultivating tomatoes or basil in the near surrounding can also help against wasps. Wasps as well as mosquitoes and flies don’t like that smell.
• Or you use another home remedy against wasps, namely incense sticks.
- Use a fake wasp nest – Yellow Jackets and Hornets will avoid this area
• Copper coins should also drive out wasps. Simply rub cent pieces or old penny coins between your hands and place them in the plain sun
on the dining table. The smell that acts against wasps arises on our skin. To enhance the effect, additional copper parts can be placed on the table. I advise not to lick on your hands from that on… J
Remove wasps from the coffee table by luring the wasps away
Remove wasps through distraction
• To dislodge wasps, distraction helps sometimes by using a slice of cooked ham which is baited at a safe distance.
• Grape is another home remedy for distracting wasps from the table
For example, you can prevent nesting of wasps by:
• Timely closing of openings, e.g. blinds
• Keep outdoor areas clear in order to avoid cavities
• Cover attracting nesting sites with fly screens
Behavior Tips – What to Avoid When Facing Wasps
• If possible, don’t use hair sprays, perfumes, skin creams and cosmetics containing fragrances.
• Avoid wearing bright, colorful, blue and yellow colored clothes. These are suspected to have an attracting effect on wasps. White, neutral clothing, on the other hand should be harmless.
• The ingredients of wood preservatives and polishes attract wasps. Accordingly, these funds should not be used shortly before using the tables, as wasps are difficult to remove otherwise. Water-soluble paints generally contain wax, which also attracts wasps.
• Sugary foods such as fruit juices, fruits, marmalade, cakes attract wasps as well as protein (meat, meat, etc.). It is best to cover such foods, if possible in airtight containers or put them away. Later clean the table of leftovers by wiping. Cover or close drinks like lemonade or beer in any case. This reduces the risk of swallowing a wasp.
• In the garden, fermenting fallen fruit should be picked up regularly. The same regarding ripe fruit, which should – if possible – be picked from the trees.
Please note that home remedies can never replace a professional wasp nest removal. In addition, wasps are protected and may only be removed by the specialist in exceptional cases. If you have a serious wasp problem, contact a professional immediately. He will find a proper solution for you.
As a precautionary measure we can close the localized passages to the dwelling:
• The belt slot must be sealed on the roller shutter box.• At built-in ceiling spotlights, cracks are masked around the lights.
• Crevices and cracks should be removed and sealed with silicone or acrylic.
• The gap at the opening flap for “pull-down-stairs” to the attic we seal or tape.
• For wooden ceilings, holes must be closed at the joints of the boards.
Wasps cannot eat healthy wood. There is always a passage somewhere that should be located and closed.
In most cases, no wasps will get into the apartment anymore. Until around the middle of November, the wasps’ invasion has mostly resolved naturally itself and the wasp has completely died. Then you can remove the “unsightly” security measures again.
If you do have any questions or suggestions (maybe about some tricks you know) please don’t hesitate to write a comment about! Let me know it!
I love to hear about “special tricks” how to fix something or so… sometimes they are really helpful but in any case mostly funny!